Thursday, July 10, 2008

Potlatch Recap Day One

Potlatch 2008 was my most successful one yet. My team, DarkHorse, balled out of control thanks to a totally stacked and awesome team. Here is the roster:
Amanda Bailey
Lucy Barnes
Schuyler Charf
Dan “Shy” Chazin
Neva Cherniavsky
Drew d’Avis
Ashley Hovey
Steve Kolthammer
Katie “Krump” McDonald
Sam Miner
Joaquin Nagle
Michael Prude
Deirdre Ronaldson
Sarah Ross-Viles
Jay Schulkin
Kevin Stout
Michael Stout
Trina Stout
Alex Wells
Faye Ziegweid
Dave Zucker

A roster full of ballers who rolled there way into 9th place at Potlatch. Our game/gift was pretty awesome. A custom pony wristband for the two MVPs of our opponent, My Little Pony temporary tattoos for all, and of course the “leading a horse to drink” relay race. Our squad did a good job of staying loose on the sidelines with PBR, Joose, and Sparks+, which I attribute most of our success to.

DAY ONE

I’m a little shaky on day one results because we rolled through our pool pretty easy. Our first opponent was Guard, Seize Them! I have a little rivalry with Guard going back to the Airtight summer league days, where they may or may not have defeated the juggernaut one of these years (and no I am not counting the playoff games I always missed because I had to be back at school). We played a little uneven this game, winning easily but not playing with any chemistry. By the end of the game, though, we had gotten used to each other and set the tone for a weekend of dominance.
I’m not sure of the order of the next two games, but we played Beer Factor and Madtown Booze Hounds. The Beer Factor game produced nothing memorable besides a classic co-ed play featuring Alex “Mom” Wells. The other team put up a terrible floaty outside-in flick huck that Alex quickly got a bead on. He ran to get under it without watching where he was going, jumped up while running backwards to knock the disc away, then landed squarely on a girl from the other team.
http://picasaweb.google.com/michaelprude/Potlatch08/photo#5221077641497479618
http://picasaweb.google.com/michaelprude/Potlatch08/photo#5221077683188081442
http://picasaweb.google.com/michaelprude/Potlatch08/photo#5221077739107129922
http://picasaweb.google.com/michaelprude/Potlatch08/photo#5221077766330067538
She was PISSED, of course, and threw her hat and stomped off the field like a cartoon character might do.
http://picasaweb.google.com/michaelprude/Potlatch08/photo#5221077785526351730
Good olllllllllllllllllll’ co-ed ultimate. I don’t blame Alex at all by the way, sometimes shit happens in ultimate. Anyway, the game was a blowout.
Our other day one game was against a Madison team featuring Trikey and Nicole M. http://picasaweb.google.com/michaelprude/Potlatch08/photo#5221075991693116898 During our game against GST I glanced over at the game next to ours and saw a big kid with dyed red hair and a Dennis Rodman jersey pull and then fall over. I couldn’t believe my eyes; it was Trikey! We bageled them, which is never fun to do. The definite highlight of the game was me trying to throw a backhand breakmark huck around Trikey. A little backstory: during Braineaters practices this fall, we did a ton of hucking-while-marked practice. I got really good at bombing breakmark backhands, but it didn’t translate to Potlatch three months later, I guess. Trikey handblocked the shit out of my throw. It wasn’t even a deflection. Crap.
I also got in a few guest points with Airtight against the UT alum team during one of our byes. I had been hoping that Airtight would have been rocking some fly new jerseys, but they went down the t-shirt spray paint stencil route. It ended up looking pretty great. I got a #11 shirt and wrote Filthy across the bottom. Man I love that word. Sean, Doug, and Greg were numbers 24, 7, and 365. Referring to their penchant for keeping it real, of course. Greg’s said Dumb Nasty, which was filthy. Ha. I also liked that Shomir was number 80085.
As for the game, I predictably only went in to try to reel in some bombs. Greg threw me an awesome backhand huck around a cup and I just had to run it down. And of course, I fell down while running and the disc dropped to the ground in the endzone. Balls. From then on every time I was on the field Calle would yell “He only wants to go deep!” He was right. There’s hardly anything more satisfying then when someone is scared of you going deep and backs you by fifteen feet, and you still smoke them for an easy deep score. It almost happened, but this time the thrower (I forget who) didn’t hold up their end of the bargain.

SHOWCASE GAME – All Stars vs Sockeye

1. Sockeye was boring
2. Nobody was hucking to Stout
3. Wormser absolutely blew up
4. Frank gets one measly d and now he is crowing like all his weak shit is vindicated. Stout, you are only encouraging him. He was largely unimpressive. Even in warm-ups he was throwing discs away. That being said, he made the event a lot more fun and exciting.
5. The All Stars jersey were sweet, but they really couldn’t give each player a number so we could tell them apart?

1 comment:

Joaq said...

Great post. I like your style Jay.