Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Initial Conference 1 thoughts

  1. I am fervently anti Conference 1.
  2. I am temporarily boycotting 5 Ultimate, which is aiding and abetting a crime against college ultimate.
  3. I suspected Cultimate was awful in the past couple years with all the tournament bid bullshit politicking. Now I know they are a pox on college ultimate.
  4. I don't know, but am curious about how Cultimate plans to make a profit off of this, with no bid fees. Do they expect that non C1 teams will also attend and pay premium prices for tournaments that disenfranchise them and have not been shown to be a superior product to college-run tournaments?
  5. I hope if C1 does happen (though I am optimistic it will not), teams like UCSD and Stanford will still host high caliber tournaments even if they do not play in them.
  6. I am disgusted on a personal level with those that go along with this for now, just like I am with McCain supporters. This has passed.
  7. Obviously, as I posted on RSD, the selection process was a complete sham. This is NOT a whine about Claremont not making it; it is about shitty non-elite (elite being perennial quarters teams like Wisconsin, Florida, Colorado, Georgia, Stanford, Carleton, Texas, and maybe teams like Oregon and Michigan) teams with no track record, or has beens, like Western Washington, UCSB, UCSD, UNCW, Kansas, Illinois, Minnesota, and pretty much the whole NE.
  8. Why does Cultimate insist on lame names for their big ideas? i.e. NCUS, Conference 1.
  9. I imagine that Florida's endorsement of C1 will be a warning sign for those teams invited. They don't have a whole lot of social capital right now with Brodie running the team.

1 comment:

Joaq said...

That's kind of a harsh list. But it's interesting how the selection process is both predictive and historical. Western is predictive, but Kansas and UCSD is predictive. UCSB is historical, as I see it, and Illinois, Minnesota and UNCW are pretty legit.